Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Looking back to look forward

I've been getting a lot of the "so how is it to be back???" type of question since getting back home. The truth is that it's both good and bad. First of all, I'm not going to lie: I had a 20min love affair w/my bed after I finally got home on Thursday night (i.e. "I love my bed. I love my pillow. I love my sheets. I love my blankets." etc). I also love having actual toilets (i.e. not squat toilets and not toilets w/out seats) and toilet paper. Readjusting to other things are a challenge, though - like sitting in front of a computer all day, immediately starting a Perl programming course at a local community college, going to Wal-Mart and seeing the rather disgusting force that is American consumerism - combined w/our warped sense of "need" v. "want", etc.

Overall, I think my mind is still trying to process the experiences of the last two months and I think it will be a while before I feel like I've really integrated what I've learned along the way. There's a big part of me that will be searching for ways to involve myself in more "meaningful" endeavors in the coming months, but I still have to work on defining "meaningful" in that context. For now, we'll just have to wait and see what the future brings...

That said...

Am I glad that I went? Hell yes.
Would I do it again? Hell yes.

No comments: