Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Day Roadtrip: Salvation Mountain!

I took a little roadtrip out to the desert for Christmas Day with a coworker. I drove and, man, I forgot how 8hrs+ behind the wheel can jack with my back. I'm totally knackered and sore!

His goal: Salton Sea - meh, not as cool as we'd hoped
My goal: Salvation Mountain - exceeded my expectations (he'd never heard of it)

I've traveled the world photographing religious sites, "lived religion" and "found altars"; this is seriously one of the coolest places I've been. You could truly "feel" the love Leonard, the creator of this site, had imbued in the structure and in the earth while creating it. Absolutely fantastic - and I'm not even Christian :) Unfortunately, Leonard was moved into a care facility in San Diego two weeks ago, so I did not get to meet him; he's 80yo, and was living in the desert with no running water, etc for years and years.

Me @ Salvation Mountain

Full Photo Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelfish/sets/72157628576816837/

No comments: