Friday, August 11, 2006

A Magyar Mass

Well, today is my last day in Budapest. I'm sad to leave it behind because it's really grown on me; however, I'm also looking forward to the next part of this adventure. I just hope that the night train to Sighisoara isn't too much of a hassle. At least my hostel is holding my backpack for free until tonight, so I don't have to lug it around all day before I catch my train. That's definitely a good thing...

Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day just relaxing before making my way back to the cave church for another look. As it turns out, I arrived right before the start of Mass. So, I stayed for Mass and listened to the Magyar prayers, songs and sermon echo against the contours of the cave. Very powerful. What also interested me was that the perishioners were all women - so you had the voice of the (male) priest and the prayers of women floating up to Christ on the cross in the half light of the cave. Interesting. Other than "Christos" and "Hallelujah", I didn't understand a word of what was said - and, yet, I did.

I really didn't know how I would be received, as I was an obvious outsider, but the women welcomed me since I was there at the beginning and stayed quietly and respectfully. (Of course, I had to politely excuse myself from receiving the sacrament, but I think they understood that as well.) For me, it's things like this that will encapsulate Budapest in my memory...as well as some things that come across quite nicely without translation:

"Oh my god, I thought I lost my keys!"
"There's no toilet paper. Here, I have a tissue in my purse - would you like it?"

Next stop: Romania

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great observations and comments.

What reactions do people have about the recent events in England? Do they express concern or is just another day to them?

Do people ostracize you for being an American or do they freely try to communicate with you?

mike

Julie said...

You know, Mike, I didn't even hear about the events in London until I was on the night train to Sighisoara and met a couple from the US who had issues w/liquids in their luggage. Most people just pay the concept of terrorism no mind - until it effects them; it's rather like home in that sense.

I haven't had any ostracism, but the random American joke....