Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Universality, and Past Meeting Future

Yesterday was the first day of full sun since I arrived. I went to the local Hungarian marketplace - which was quite interesting. It's in a huge, old, colorful building and dedicates the main floor of the building to assorted meats and veggies, and the second floor of the build to textiles and souvenirs of assorted types. I took a photo of an interesting animal skull hung on a wall that reminded me distinctly of growing up in New Mexico. Perhaps it shouldn't, but finding all the similarities between places I've lived and Budapest really surprises me. We really aren't as different as we sometimes think.

I also went to an old cave church perched on a cliff overlooking the Danube. I sat in the chapel for a good long while just soaking it in, and looking at Jesus on the cross and the Sacred Heart of Mary. I think, personally, this was probably the most "real" church I've ever been in. Period. Very powerful, and very much a feeling of universality. I think the nature lovers and devout Christians would both have to agree on that point. It was a beautiful mixture of both sentiments.

I finally got to visit the baths, as well - at least the Gellert baths that are touted as "like bathing in a cathedral". It was an interesting experience, not altogether without confusion as I tried to figure out where to go, where to change and store my bag, etc. There was a swimming pool, a hot tub type pool, a wave pool outside, and a thermal bath outside. It was nice and very relaxing, but I didn't think it as fabulous as all the guide books make it out to be. (Then again, guide books are frequently crap.) I also had to laugh at the wave pool; everyone thought it was fantastic but, for me, it was a sad excuse for real ocean waves. Oh well - all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

While roaming about the Citadel at sunset, I took a photo of some children playing on old Soviet-era stationary machine guns. It was a very bizarre juxtaposition of past and future that I couldn't resist. It also reminded me a bit of when I used to climb on the cannons in the park when I was growing up, myself.

Today is the first day of Sziget and the vibe of the city has changed somewhat since so many people have recently arrived in town for it. I haven't decided definitively whether I'll try going tomorrow or not (Ministry is playing - 1day ticket is ~26EUR). It sounds like fun but, at the same time, I'm not sure that I want to deal with throng of crazy young people. I've been have a thoroughly enjoyable time without that kind of thing...

No comments: