Thursday, September 14, 2006

First Thoughts on Vienna

Getting from Cesky Krumlov to Vienna was easy. I took the shuttle bus to Linz and the caught a train to Vienna. My hostel here is cheap (13.5 €) and pretty decent for a mega-hostel (i.e. it isnt a party hostel the way some others in the area are). I can't say that much positive yet about Vienna. I extended my stay to 4 nights because I'm feeling somewhat sick (weather here is still summer-ish, whereas Cesky Krumlov was closer to SAN winters in the evenings) and because I really want to try to find some part of Vienna that I love...

So far, I've just walked around town and gazed at the amazingly ornate buildings from the outside, visited a handful of cathedrals (which are free, yay!), hung out in Sigmund Freud park, and visited a few local bars. Don't get me wrong, the architecture here is quite nice; however, it's so much that I find it overpowering and really quite difficult to appreciate much of anything. Even the Stephansdom cathedral (which some American ex-pats living in Vienna talked up when we met in Prague) isn't that impressive to me. Oh well; you can't win 'em all, I guess.

Side notes: The € is my 6th and final currency on this trip. I'm glad to be able to stick with something for at least a couple of weeks... I leave for Venice Saturday night. (Affordable accommodation in Salzburg just isn't available, no matter how much I might like it to be - presumably due to people heading this way early for Oktoberfest.)

No comments: