Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Venice & Florence

I took the night train from Vienna to Venice. 12hrs. It was, hands down, the nicest night train experience I've had. The train was mostly clean, had toilet paper, had only 4 people in my 6-bed couchette, required no passport check (since both countries were EU countries) and even had little extras (like mini water bottles when you boarded and coffee/rolls for breakfast). After spending so many of my train rides outside the EU, I think I've gotten used to lesser quality; these days I'm easy to impress :)

That said, it was raining in Vienna when I left - and raining in Venice when I arrived w/out reservations. Not good for a cold. I bought an umbrella tried some hostels (which were full) and then got a recommendation for a 1-star hotel that also had a dormitory for 20€/nt. I jumped on that because I needed someplace to stay. The rain let up a bit, so I went out for a walk - and then proceeded to get caught in a major downpour. I bought a geeked-out raincoat/poncho, huddled under an overhang, and watched how the Venetians dealt w/ the weather. (Actually, I think that's when I fell in love w/ Venice.) People were so good natured about the weather - laughing and smiling and singing and playing accordian; it was great.

Only stayed two night in Venice (because that "hotel" really was a pit - I'll have to describe it when I get back to do it justice), but had a great time. I went to the Guggenheim museum, Palazzo Ducale and a couple other museums. I walked across a flooded Piazza San Marco & went into the cathedral. I also walked into a variety of small churches, and got myself lost in the back alleys of Venice. Good fun.

Venice seems to be a place that hit or miss among travelers; for me, it was a definite hit. If I have then opportunity (and make actual reservations for something not crap), I'd love to return...

This morning, though, I caught a train to Bologna and then another to Florence (arriving at 3pm). Again, I didn't have reservations. This time, however, I hit gold on my first attempt. I'm staying at the Novella Inn for 20€/nt. Clean, spacious dorm, great bathroom w/ hot water - again, I'm easy to please these days. I've booked 5 nights here so that I have time to really see Florence. So far, I love it - and I've just walked about with a German dorm mate.

I didn't really intend to have internet time, but I got stuck chatting/walking with a seemingly nice Indian guy, but I didn't want him to see where I'm staying and internet here is comparatively cheap. So...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad you got to see the Piazza San Marco - of course it is flooded more often than not.

Sorry to hear about your cold but glad to hear you are enjoying yourself.