Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Prague - quick thoughts

Prague is lovely. The architecture is beautiful and the city is so compact that walking almost anywhere a tourist/traveller would want to go is not a big deal. It's just...different for me than Budapest (which is much bigger).

I've walked around and seen most of the "usual suspects" (got to take photos on my 2nd day, since it rained the 1st). I went to a classical concert in the Church of St. Nicholas in the old town (which is, to my amusement, different than St. Nicholas' Church/Cathedral) and was actually able to appreciate "lighter" classical music (flutes/harps) for the first time; I think the excellent acoustics combined w/the visuals helped. I went to a somewhat cheesy little Renaissance Faire in old town sqaure, etc., etc. I also visited the most beautiful church (St. Vitus' Cathedral) I've ever seen - hands down - and climbed the 287 steps to its lookout tower.

Other tidbits: I was eating street food in front of a sex shop on the main "square" and overheard a couple of 40-ish men haggling w/a "vendor" over the price of girls for 30min or 60min. Mmm. Yeah. I get it, but it would've been nice to have at least a 5ft radius of non-smut-talk while eating. ;-) I definitely love countries where you can buy good beer for less than $1USD...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I wish I could have been there to listen to the music and see the sights too! Sounds great.

Julie said...

You'd love the easy access to classical concerts here; they're everwhere throughout the early evening/night...